Microwave Chocolate Mug Cakes
Non-bake cakes from your Microwave? It may seem a little unorthodox, but these quick fix miniature cakes are a delightful treat for two. They can be whipped up for a romantic night in, simple desserts after dinner, or as nice servings for small social gatherings. These simple microwave cakes can be crafted within your favorite coffee mug and can result in a moist and fluffy dessert.
Also known as Mug Cakes, they are becoming increasingly popular as more individuals seek an alternative to long baking times for regular baked goods. This is an intriguing concept for those who are over the whole made from scratch routine and messy clean ups associated with making cakes. And, while these mug cakes may be easy and adorable, they are also known to come out extremely dry or overtly spongey if not prepared correctly and timed properly. They require a delicate touch and attention to timing; otherwise you will be left with an extremely gross and inedible blob of Cake.
Ingredients for Chocolate Mug Cakes
This is definitely a great alternative for those craving chocolate and in need of a quick solution to baking. Taking a single minute to prep and another to cook, this sweet treat can be made in a matter of moments.
Here is a list of ingredients for a quick batch Mug Cakes:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar (you can add 1 tbsp. more if you like it a bit sweeter)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp. milk
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. hazelnut chocolate spread or Nutella
Microwave Chocolate Mug Cakes in less than 2 Minutes
Here’s how you make your Mug Cakes straight from the microwave in 2 minutes!
- Blend all dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
- Slowly whisk in Milk and Oil until smooth and no clumps remain.
- Pour into your desired microwave mug, leaving enough room for it to set [or for potential toppings!] preferably 14 oz or bigger. You want to avoid it rising over the sides.
- Next add your teaspoon of hazel nut spread [or Nutella] to the center of the Chocolate batter. The batter will fold over it so there is no need to push the hazel nut spread into the batter; simply drop it in the middle.
- To avoid potential spills into the microwave floor, place a paper towel inside before setting in the Chocolate Mug Cake.
- Finally, microwave your chocolate mug cake on high for 70 seconds. Remove from the microwave carefully and enjoy your chocolate, gooey Mug Cake.
Please Note When Microwaving Cakes
Here are a few things to note when dealing with Microwave Cakes.
- Every Microwave is different and so you should remain nearby when you begin cooking you chocolate mug cake.
- You can substitute the Hazelnut Spread for your ideal filling. A popular twist is Peanut Butter, Marshmallow Cream, and even Chocolate Syrup.
- This recipe does not call for two ingredients normally found in cakes: Eggs and Self-Rising Flour. When you consider that you normally use one or two whole eggs for a normal size cake, using an egg within the microwave mug cake will result in the ugly mix of spongy, inedible cake we mentioned earlier. The same can be said for Self-Rising Flour, which is why this recipe calls for All-Purpose flour.