If you’re looking for a quick dessert then you’ve definitely come to the right place! Not only are these absolutely yummy, you’re going to find that it’s a dessert most people don’t’ think of, so you can surprise virtually everyone at your next get-together. You know what they say: an apple a day keeps the doctor away, and you’re going to be eating so many of these that you’ll be practically immoral. Are you ready? Great! Let’s get started by gathering the ingredients you need and of course, pre-heat the oven to 350.
Before we get started we’d like to stress the importance of making sure you have apples for this recipe. You can go with the obvious, red delicious, or you can go to one of the lesser known types. A rule of thumb here is to make sure that you pick the one you like best—it’s your treat, after all. Okay, let’s get started!
- Refrigerated Pie Crusts -1 Package
- Apple Pie Filling – 10 oz
- Egg -1
- Cinnamon -1 tsp
- Nutmeg – ¼ tsp
- Sugar – ¼ cup
- Sparkling Sugar
Once again, you need to start this recipe by pre-heating the oven to 350, but in addition to that do make sure you have a cookie sheet handy. Before you get started, spray the sheet with non-stick spray and set aside for later use. Also, make sure you let the crusts warm a bit so that they will be easy to work with.
- With your work area clean, dust it with flour and roll out the crusts
- Pulse the crusts in a food processor, or simply cut them into smaller pieces.
- Cut your apples into fry shapes and lay them over top of the crust. Now keep in mind that you can cut your apple in a number of different ways, the most common being to cut them with a knife. If you want to de-core it however, you can use a French fry slicer to create perfectly symmetrical fries with little to no effort.
- Place the unused crust on top.
- Cut everything into strips and then to fry lengths.
- Place the egg into a bowl and blend it, then mix in sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon
- Brush the top of the crust with the egg was and sprinkle with sugar mixture.
- Place the fries on a baking sheet
- Place entire thing into oven and cook for up to fifteen minutes.
Now that you’ve cooked your apple fries you can serve them immediately or keep them in the refrigerator for up to five hours. Remember, they have no preservatives, so they tend to spoil quickly. Eat as soon as you can!